Dating on line hazardville connecticut
More homes were built and businesses established as the nineteenth century unfolded.
Newington grew in population and area by the second half of the nineteenth century.
Known as “West Farms,” the area west of the central portion of Wethersfield became settled by those who were almost exclusively the descendants of the earliest Wethersfield settlers.
In 1721, the “western” farmers requested that the General Assembly of the Connecticut Colony give their land the name “Newington” to denote “the new town in the meadow.” The Assembly granted the request, even though it took another 150 years before Newington officially became an incorporated town. Newington’s motto inscribed on its town seal is “growth and progress,” which it began putting into effect at the end of the eighteenth century.
Wethersfield had done likewise, and two population centers were produced as a result.